Saturday, September 23, 2006

Aimless

Yesterday I met someone in the office. And I was amazed to see him smiling at me. He was on a wheelchair. I could see a spark in his eyes, a twinkle. As if he is eagerly waiting for something. Expectant! The eyes revealed something he is looking forward to, just like a pregnant mother looking forward to her as yet unborn baby.

My first reaction always whenever I see a disabled person is that I always thank god that I have all my limbs, body, senses in good order and I pray to god - please help the disabled to go through in life. I also feel a sense of pity...is it? No not pity, sorrow. I am hurt when I think about the thoughts running through the disabled's mind when he sees an able bodied person. My heart goes out to him and I start praying to god to give him courage to get through his disability.

But, this person was different. His smiley face did not inculcate a feeling of sorrow in my mind, but actually a feeling that he is enjoying his life and looking forward to something. I befriended him. Started to talk to him. Actually, it was my selfish motive. I wanted to know what made him smile at me and made him feel happy, despite his disability.

He told me he wasnt always disabled. Some 5 years back he was perfectly healthy and then he met with an accident and had a spinal chord injury. During early stages of his injury he was paralyzed neck down and his Motor nerves were not properly functional. Slowly through excercise and therapy, he has regained much of his sensation in his upperbody.

And now, he was able to swim, move his wheelchair on his own and also was able to stand upright with braces on. Thats whats called improvement. That's what's called something to live for. WOW! I thought.

And I had gotten my answer. What made him smile, made him happy. No its not because he was meeting someone he didnt know. Not because he wants to hide his sadness. But because he had found a goal in life. AN AIM! Something worth living for! Worth striving for! Thats from his perspective.

His zeast for living was absolutely amazing. His progress over the last 5 years was absolutely commendable. He still has a long way to go, but my heart goes out to him. For he's more alive than anyone of us living our lives aimlessly, going through the motions not knowing what we are living for.

My prayers go out to him for he is alive in this world, for he's got his goal in life set and he's halfway there to achieve it.

As for me, I am still aimless!

2 Comments:

Blogger PradeepS said...

Hey there Ram,

Looong time no hear ! got to say u got a great blog running here . didnt know u were in florida , Nice place buddy ! Sun and the sand !!

Well , i am in NYC , just hopped over a couple of weeks back ,
Settling down .
Hope to hear from you soon ,
Pradeep

Monday, October 9, 2006 at 10:32:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sleep only because I have to. I wake up only because I have to. I shall consider making efforts to come up with something bad. Travel shows. They sell dreams. At least to me. I wish I were traveling. I wish I slept coz I was tired. And woke up coz I'm in a different place - unexplored. Chocolates, ice cream, pasta, sake. All of them have to go down. And further down.

No. All this is not random rambling. All these statements are unified. Unified by the single question "What's the point?" Think about it.


I am not a rebel. I am just someone who does what he feels like doing. I respect the decisions made by the rest of the world, but I do not accept them without questioning. I make individual choices in life. I'd rather think with my own mind and make mistakes than design my life based on the ideas other people gained from other people and so on and so forth. I am not a rebel. I do not challenge establishment. I merely question it and if the answer satisfies me, I gladly adhere to it.

But, the key is, I ask the question…


if you know which of your friends wrte this, scrap and check, i was on a total intellect trip , on the lower spiral i think :)

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 6:53:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home